Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Review: To Catch a Pirate by Jade Parker

My rating: 5 stars! :D

Title: To Catch a Pirate

Author: Jade Parker

Length: 320 pages



Synopsis from Goodreads: Swashbuckling teen romance to coincide with release of the third PIRATES OF THE CARRIBEAN movie in Summer 07!

Ahoy, hotties!

A beautiful, plucky seventeen-year-old finds herself aboard a pirate ship...where danger lurks in every corner, but a certain dark-eyed pirate in search of buried treaure may just steal her heart. This high-seas romance will have readers swooning.

Review: Alright, admittedly, that extremely vague synopsis from Goodreads isn't going to be attracting many people to the book. So in less ambiguous terms, this is what the story is about: A year ago, when the ship that was transporting Annalisa, her father, and a fortune that her father was responsible for was taken over by pirates, Annalisa had no hope. Hiding in the brig, she wished that none of the dangerous men that she'd only ever heard of would find her. Ahh but fate... Annalisa is found by a pirate by the name of James Sterling who returns to her her mother's necklace only after a kiss. A year later, with her father in jail for losing the king's money, Annalisa is determined to find Sterling and the stolen fortune and give her father his life back. 

I loved this book! You know those books that you can read over and over again and still be entertained? This is one of those books. Personally speaking. Honestly speaking, I'm a huge sucker for pirates. It doesn't matter what shape or size, if the book has pirates, it's worth a read. To Catch a Pirate isn't extremely... challenging. I read the book in about a span of two or three hours and I liked the way it was written. Perfect for its type. Light and fluffy. If you've read Into the Wind by Jean Ferris and liked that book, I can guarantee that you'll like this one. 

Characters:

Annalissa- She's strong, independent, and a fighter. What I loved about her was that no matter what the situation, she wasn't ready to back down. The story is set in such a time period where even the thought of women on sea was scoffed at. Annalissa defied those jeers and expectations by becoming not only an adept fighter, but an amazing... err... leader. (Don't wanna give away spoilers ;) 

James- I LOOOVE him! Sarcastic, attractive, and dangerous. The perfect mix for the perfect pirate. And more than anything, I loved the subtle development of his character. He went from a wary teenager to a trusting and loyal man from the beginning to the end. Loved that! 

The other guy- I know I know, I'm horrible for forgetting his name. But what can I do?? I just didn't like him. This other guy (let's call him TOG) was placed in the story (I think) to create tension between James and Annalisa. It seems like there might be a love triangle due to TOG but in reality there is none. I didn't like TOG because... he was just so controlling and... he was mean to James he didn't have any faith in Annalisa. But either way, he played a pivotal role in the story and I guess that he was a good friend... somewhat good friend.

If you're looking for a well-written and deep story, this is not the read for you. Parker's writing is extremely light and this book is very fluffy. Good for a day when you're craving a sweet and cutesy read. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment